Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Wandering thru Paris



Despite all the news on the trouble in France, we snuck away this weekend to explore Paris...
Getting there is easy...a ~ 3 1/2 hour TGV train from Lausanne to Paris...and accomodations are cheap..the Novotel Hotels offer family weekend get-away specials...couple this with the promise of less than normal tourist crowds and we couldn't resist.

The weather cooperated nicely and fortunately we did not run into any unrest...We arrive d Friday night and walked about 50 meters to our hotel...Saturday morning we walked to the Louvre and checked out the 'La Jaconde' (Mona Lisa). No lines which was nice...it was bigger than I remembered which is interesting as most people are surprised at how small it is...We then browsed thru various european art and sculpture exhibits and ended our visit with a tour thru a wonderful Egyptian showcase...Certainly too much to see in one day let alone a week...so we limited ourselves to this. The next item on our list was a ride to the top of the Eiffel Tower. This was breathtaking...the fast elevator ride to the top was almost more than I could handle...

Sunday we took it slow...we attended Mass at the Notre Dame Cathedral which was quite the experience...a special note was a wonderful visiting choir...from the USA! We had lunch at a nice vegetarian restaurant, then strolled/shopped thru the Pompidou center before checking out of our hotel and catching the 6:00 train back home!

All in all a nice break!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to go to Paris!!! I rcognised allof the places that you guys went to because my Frech teacher was talking about them in class. I can't wait untill you guys come in April! I'll see all of you then(but I still wish you were staying for more than a week).

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had fun in paris! If you could I need you to have aubrey email me back before you guys come out here!
stacy

5:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Diana,
How's tricks? You all are coming back this month? I hope all is well and you have a good visit. James and I are doing well. I took him to a belly dancing showcase for his birthday! Love to all, Ava

7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feeeeeeeeeeeeeesschhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

I'm loving the blog, Dave! It takes me back to a boondoggle I took through France, Germany, and Austria back a few years. My two favorite spots were in Wasserburg, Germany and Salzburg. If you take the bike to Salzburg there are some great hills just outside of town that get you up into some steep climbs, but I'm guessing you're tired of those already.

I just read in the paper that Zurich is the #1 place in the world to live. Whaddayathink? Check out www.imercer.com/qol.

Phi Alpha,
Bag

P.S. Thanks again for sponsoring me in this year's MS150 - this coming weekend... You're a stud, Dave, face it.

7:28 PM  
Blogger DFisch said...

Hey Bagman,
Glad you're keeping tabs on us. I haven't made it out to Salzburg yet but it's on our short list.

We're just getting back from a week back in USA for my parent's 50th. Every time I make the Transantlantic trip, I think, "This is not too bad.." so next time you have a few free days and you're up for some new rides, swing by and we'll hit some of the local hills here.

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you made it back to Paris, and it sounds like you had a great time. I take it that no one was running a 104 degree fever this time? Personally, I'm still not sure I ever want to see Paris again!

chrissy.

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home