Sunday, March 05, 2006

Venice




We are just getting back from a nice 4 day trip to Venice. Aubrey, who has somehow picked up an annoying French accent, is correcting me... if you account for train travel, we only had 3 full days in Venice! Anyway it was a wonderful trip.




We had read up a bit and knew to expect some wondeful sights, yet we were still amazed at the beauty around us. Art in every sense of the word. Museums, buildings, churches, glass, sculptures, windows....

I was most taken by the sense of impending loss....beautiful expensive buildings, built to last forever, with water a foot over the original ground level floor...Such a contrast.

We also visited, Lido di Venezia, a 6-mile (10 km)-long, slender island just a 15-minute boat ride away from St Mark's Square. Couldn't resist dipping our toes in the very cold Adriatic sea...

We took the Cisalpino train back to Lausanne. Very fast and comfy though a long ride. We arrived in Lausanne close to midnight in a good winter storm. When we hit our final stop, it was sleeting badly and none of us were up for the 1 mile treck home. Fortunately, a simple cell phone call activated one of our 3000 'car-share' vehicles parked across the street and we drove in comfort back home.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a wonderful four (non, three) days! The girls and I are very jealous- Venice is our next dream destination.

So, how does this 'car-sharing' thing work? This isn't just a fancy name for a taxi, is it?

chrissy

6:41 AM  
Blogger Peggy and Steve said...

Isn't that something. I was just looking back through your blogs to see if you explained the car sharing, and not really, so I ask the samy question as chrissy!!! It's great to see you all travelling and having a good time. The second photo looks so much like Quebec City in Vermont, I mean Canada. Well it's only a 3 hour drive from here. Oh, I almost forgot, I started a blog! It will chronicle our journey to Sitka and .....beyond! www.sitkabay.blogspot.com

love, Peg

9:41 AM  
Blogger DFisch said...

Cool!!! Ok I 'll do a brief summary of car sharing. There are parking lots at designated places with red Mobility cars parked. Usually you reserve the car in advance on line, specifying what type of car, how long you will rent it. the cost of gas, and insurance are included in the price.
We have a 3 month trial membership which costs a certain amount, I am embarassed to admit I don't know as Dave set this up before I got here. Then you pay a minimal fee (2 francs an hour plus mileage).
so , after I have reserved a car, I walk up to the windshield and flash my card and if it recognizes me, the doors unlock. The starter is a push button.
Hope this clears up the mystery.
Di

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home