Sunday, April 23, 2006

Searching for Single Track



I took a train ride this morning from Morges to Biere Biere is right at the foot of the Jura mountains and I was told I could find some mountain bike trails there....I rode 26 km from Biere to Montricher...this was a pleasant road ride through open plains and very little traffic...I was occasionally passed by vintage vehicles....seems to be a custom to take them out on nice Sundays...I rode most of this with 3 Americans I met on the train but we went separate ways as I followed my single track quest...I then rode on to Mont-la-Ville (another 25km) where my map showed the first mountain bike trails....I followed my map diligently but seemed to only find jeep roads. ....Not wanting to give up I went on to Juriens (another 25km) and climbed up to some peaks in Vaulion (another 20 km!) with a 300 meter (1000 foot) elevation gain .....I bushwacked, climbed over and under barbed wired and electric shock fences and still no luck....Just logging roads and swarms of flying insects that fed me my dailing protein ration...I hit a dead end at a lone building called 'La Busine - 1165 meters'...no one home and no idea what it is so I decided to can the whole search and just enjoy the beautiful countryside. I pedalled to Romanmotier, a 15th century city with beatiful buildings and then to Bretonnieres
There I ran into some good luck...! I was starting to bonk and thinking of just lying down flat somewhere...anywhere!, when a swiss couple with nice muddy mountain bikes showed up. They invited me to join them and explained that to find the nice single track you must 'avoid' the trails marked 'For Mountain bikes'...go figure...They promised me a nice conclusion to my adventure..I only hoped my my legs would last! We rode back to Romanmontier, down thru Croy and into Eclepens...It was a fun fast ride with a mix of single track and general trails. It as quite nice! We split near Bussigny and I slowly rode back home...Thank goodness for granny gears as at this point my legs were rubber!

Looking at my map, I count about 200km for the loop....(120 miles...) and 8 hours...My legs certainly feel the workout... I must note that the train ride gave me a 2000 foot elevation lift but still quite the epic ride.

Right now I can't imagine looking at let alone climbing on the saddle again but hopefully tomorrow I'll have my strength back. Cheers and happy trails!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, that's like to to Josh and John's and back, but like 5 times. - Joanna

6:05 PM  
Blogger DFisch said...

Well put Joanna! By the way, girls are back safe and sound and miss you already.

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very impressed with your adventure and kilometers/miles. Your training must be paying off ;-). 120mi/8hr=15mph. I'm guessing my avg on mtn bike is about 10 mph. And I know my avg on flat road rides is generally about 16 mph and a bit less w/ terrain. Had an epic mtn ride at the sea otter event a couple of weeks ago. And even more fun during our spring break trip to costa rica. hope to share some photos with you soon. bro don

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home