Monday, August 25, 2008

Back to Wengen




John, from BikeSwitzerland invited me to join him an bike with his next group of 13 riders to Gruyere on Saturday. However it was raining Saturday and as much as I would have enjoyed riding with the group and sharing my perspective I stayed home and built the Wiimote.

But Sunday was a sunny beautiful day and I decided to try and catch up with the new group who were by now leaving Saanen (near Gstaad) on their way to Interlaken. Only a 80km gap to close and with their lunch breaks and sightseeing maybe I could do it.

...and I almost did!

Unfortunately once I hit Gstaad I took a wrong turn and ended up biking 5km back home. I was tempted to call it a day, and just bike back but there was a strong wind blowing from that direction so I decided to go with the flow and keep going.

Once I started the descent from Gstaad, the wind changed directions (typical, no?) and it was a struggle to keep up the speed despite the downhill slope.

In the end, as I pulled into the Interlaken train station, the group was just pulling out on a train to Wengen...

I called John and let him know I just missed them and he suggested I join them in Wengen for a beer. He couldn't believe what I had done!

Anyways, the beer sounded great so I caught the next train up! A beer turned into two and then into a gourmet meal. I had a great evening chatting it up wtih bikers from California, Florida, Washington, Oregon and yes, Colorado! I then caught a train back home! What a day!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having covered the same route in 2+ days, I'm very impressed and humbled by your intensity. So how many km and time in the saddle? Don

7:07 PM  
Blogger DFisch said...

Hi Don,
I left at 9:00 am and hit Interlaken around 4:30...Stopped for only a few minutes here and there to get water and buy a sandwich so I'd guess saddle time was about7 hours. Distance was 180km.

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home