Sunday, July 13, 2008

Zurich Ride




Despite weather forecast of rain which unfortunately turned out to be accurate, I headed out yesterday towards Zurich in an attempt to bike to the home of our friends Jan and Margaret....riding of course my Bike Friday pocket rocket.

Armed with my marginally trustworthy GPS unit into which I had downloaded a Google Map route, rain gear, and a change of clothes in a zip log bag, I started pedaling away.

About 80km in the ride I was starting to feel some of the hills and had some doubts about making the full 223 km trek. But as the scenery, towns, hills, and castles passed by, so did the kilometers.

9 hours later and still feeling pretty fresh, I rang their doorbell!As you can tell, I'm feeling pretty full of myself right now!

(My track is the red line. The yellow are country borders.)

Pretty sick no? But clearly my idea of a great day!

;-) Dave

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is awesome (or in the parlance of Rebecca and Alex, sick!)! Congratulations on your accomplishment, but even more kudos to you on having the idea in the first place. 223 km is quite a haul. Go Dave!!!

8:50 PM  
Blogger DFisch said...

I think I'll take Rebecca and Alex's interpretation!

Good to hear from you! Hope you're getting some nice summer activities in as well.

1:39 AM  
Blogger Lynn Schneider said...

Hi Dave,

It took us one week to bicycle fully loaded from Lausanne to Zurich. That you could do it in one day is a remarkable accomplishment!
P.S. We went up Mt. Tam the other day, a mere 35 miles. You put us to shame...

Lynn and Bob (Your brother-in-law's sister-in-law...)

9:27 PM  
Blogger DFisch said...

Hi Lynn and Bob,

I will say that looking back it seems impressive to me but it wasn't as hard as it seems. Not too many hills and I was traveling light. But all said, it was something I've been wanting to accomplish and it feels good to have it behind me (considering the hard saddle, no pun intended).

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home