Sunday, April 22, 2007

oops

Saturday I decided to get a good hard ride in and rode south towards Nyon. I hooked up with a French rider and he convinced me to ride with him toward Divonne. I wasn't sure where this was but was feeling great and headed that way.

Though I typically ride with my passport, on this day I left it at home...next thing I new I noticed that the signs were a bit different and I was seeing many French, not Swiss license plates..."Did we cross the border?" ...He replied, "yes, Divonne is a border town but it's not manned..."

I answered, "But I don't have a passport with me..." His response..."Don't worry even when they do checks, they never check bicyclists"...

Anyways, I had visions of being the first test case of what happens when an American living in Switzerland sneaks into France without a passport...

So I said thanks and goodbye, turned around, held my breath, and sped back thru the 'unmanned' border crossing. Fortunately, the test case was not to be...No one batted an eye, no flashing lights and I was back safe and sound.

It still strikes me as strange that you can take off on a bike and end up in a different country!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home