Monday, November 06, 2006

Leysin Impromptu



Brenna was busy on the computer Friday night, working through the bus schedule to figure out how to get to her school by 7:30 am on Saturday morning..Her Volleyball team was heading to Leysin, Switzerland (about an hour away) for a 2 day tournament. "OK, got it, I will get up at 6:00 and catch the

6:20 bus! "So how are you going to wake up at 6:00?" I asked Brenna..."I'll find an alarm clock somewhere" she replied...Well I've taken on the role as the morning wakerupper so I said, "Don't worry, I'll set my alarm and wake you up. Well one thing led to another and after waking her up, I decided to walk with her to the bus...then I decided to ride with her on the bus...then upon finding that there was an extra seat to go to Leysin, I went ahead to the tournament...then after seeing how beautiful the town was, booked a hotel room to spend the night! It turned to be a great time. I watched several of Brenna's team's game. They started out well and finished poorly but Brenna made me proud! I also got a great hike in on Saturday...I have never though been so sore...I can barely stand up now, let alone walk, yet I felt great then... I also learned the difference between trails and trails with chains...the latter (which I picked) involves climbing up steep inclines with the aid of a chain anchored to the rocks....

Upon seeing this and knowing my terrible fear of heights, I called Dedi to let her know where I was, just in case... turned out to be unecessary, but better safe than sorry.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dave, and all the Fischs!

I'm just catching up on my blog reading - always love to see your stuff. Looks like a blast - next time bring me! You missed a good show this year - Jimmy ended up coordinating 6 acts this year at the hodge podge lodge.

Any chance you'll be in Greece for Thanksgiving? We're heading there for about 11 days! I've only been to Italy (a long time ago. This will be a first for the rest of the family.

Why Greece - long story, but after hours of working trying to use miles to go somewhere, I called an 'old friend' at united - told her of the problem and I said that I was willing to go ANYWHERE on earth. It took her 3 days, but she finally got us this trip. We're very excited (nervous) about making the excursion. Driving, money exchanges, language, plans or spontanaity, phones, not knowing... It's all stuff you've been through... Love your impomptu story - I'm trying to convince everyone that we should just go, and play it by ear. Tracy and kids are more like - no, we need a plan, with reservations etc. It's off - season - so I think we'll be fine.

Don't know if you've ever climbed Longs Peak (just west of me.) Years ago - they had cables up the north face route - like your chains. Park Service eventually pulled them out (not natural). I like the look of the chains better!

Hope all is well, give my best to everyone and know that we are out here reading the blog!

..clark hodge and the gang

6:16 AM  
Blogger DFisch said...

Hi Clark,
It's always great hearing from you. Congrats on another successful musical event at the Hodge Podge! Greece over Thanksgiving is not on our agenda...girls get no vacation from school then...go figure! Sounds like you'll have a great time. I think sometimes winging it can be be appropriate though I will say I tend to prefer having at least some lodging secured, though like you said, it will be off-season..Our friends Jan and Margaret in the Springs are very good at renting a car, exploring, and then finding a place to stay...they had a great experience in Puerto Rico doing this! I wouldn't worry about he other stuff, language, money exchange etc. I bet you could get great tips doing some google searches on "Greece vacation tips" or similar. Cheers, Dave

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home